23 April 2011

I'm back...my apologies

Well, friends, I have returned. Where have I been? Nowhere really. I needed a break from my blogging, not that I was very consistent at it by any means. I just felt uninspired and lazy. Many of you (2 or 3) asked me to get back to my postings. So, I am doing this for you. Thank you.

I have no idea where I left off, so let's start from somewhere new. I am slowly changing things in my house. It is definitely a slower process than I would have imagined. I am amassing vintage and thrifted treasures that I want to share with you. So, let's begin somewhere...

Perhaps it's easiest if I begin by seasons. I will attempt to put these photographs and descriptions in an accurate time line. Let's start with Summer 2010.

Summer 2010

One of the first things I wanted to do was get a bike. I have lived in Chicago long enough not to fear the cars as much, so off to get a bike. I found a great bike at Target brought it home, got buyers' remorse and returned it before riding it. I had doubt about the purchase, as I was becoming a hard-core vintage/thrift shopper, and paying money for something new seemed to go against everything I was beginning to stand for. So, the bike was quickly returned, hence no photograph.

I began researching where in Chicago I could purchase a used bike. I found Working Bikes online and went to check it out. I liked that they repaired old bikes, as well as donated the profits and other bikes to various countries. So, I came home with this fun bike:



I began riding it immediately and often. I convinced Josh & Ji Hye that they too needed vintage bikes, so...



I soon realized that all other bikes were passing me by. I hated being so slow compared to everyone else, plus the bike had only three gears. Not that I needed more or even knew what to do with more than three, but I was beginning to think that I needed a newer bike. So much for staying true to vintage.

Again, more research was required, as well as recommendations from friends which led me to Kozy's Cyclery. I found my dream bike...



I rode this bike everywhere and all summer long, including once to work...what was I thinking? I love my new bike. I outfitted it with back baskets, a horn, as well as security. Josh and I rode a 25 mile bike-a-thon benefiting Ji Hye's organization, as well. I was sad to hang it up for the winter.



Perhaps I should pause here...so far nothing I have been discussing has dealt with design, well I need to fill you in on a few things that inspired me and caused my return, so perhaps this post does have to do with design.

I decided to dabble a bit in selling thrifted items on Craigslist. My favorite part is the find & then writing the ad. So, here are a few items I sold...







I also tried my hand at recreating the well-known light fixture...can you guess at my failed attempt what fixture I was after?



Well, school was almost about to begin and I needed a vacation. So, off to New York. Here are a few things that I did and saw (that do have to do with design)...


I really enjoy these reclaimed driftwood tables.


Oh, and I do love the Bertoia chairs outside of MoMA.


Of course I had to visit the Statue of Liberty.


I normally don't enjoy graffiti, but there was something about this one that I really enjoyed.


This was so beautiful, too bad we couldn't climb it.


More beautiful graffiti...




I saw these chairs on Man Shops Globe, then saw them where they were being sold.

Well, I think that gives a good explanation as to what I did this past summer. I have much more to talk about for each season that I have been absent. The photographs are sorted by season, so please come back to see what happened to me in Fall.

Take care.

3 comments:

  1. Quality content is the important to interest the viewers to visit the web site, that's what this web site is providing.

    Roller blind jakarta
    Roller blind surabaya
    Roller blind bandung

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is also a very good post which I really enjoyed reading. It is not every day that I have the possibility to see something like this.. national events

    Pengacara perceraian
    Pengacara depok
    Timbangan laundry
    Timbangan hewan

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails